Scite Editor Autoit Settings

Jos

• Developers

SciTE is a SCIntilla based Text Editor. Originally built to demonstrate Scintilla, it has grown to be a generally useful editor with facilities for building and running programs.

Anyone that wants to try it out , this is what you need to do to get it to work for AutoIt3:

- First install the SciTE program from : Scite Editor

- Download the Autoit lexer and settings files Sciteau3.exe and run it.

It will do:

- syntax highlighting

- Auto Complete AutoIt commands

- Intellisense (like CyberSlugs script)

- Code folding

- auto indentation

- F1 will open Helpfile on the keyword were the cursor is located

- F5 will Run your autoit program

- F7 Will Build (compile) your script

- Ctrl+9 will run Tidy.exe (included in the zip file) to auto indent your source file.

Let me know when you have questions/suggestions etc...

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This editor package you have put together is brilliant - well done - although...choice of colour for some of the syntax highlighting is definitely questionable :whistle:

My question is this:

Sometimes when I fire up tidy.exe (using Ctrl+9) it opens up a dialog box to choose the file to tidy. This then creates a new file called file_n.aut.

Sometimes when I fire up tidy.exe (using Ctrl+9) it justs asks me if I want to save any changes then performs the tidy function. This time the old file is renamed as file_old1 and my working file name is unchanged (This is much better!!!)

Am I using different versions of tidy.exe (dotted around different PCs!!) ?

Any thoughts.

Thanks for your help

• Developers

This editor package you have put together is brilliant - well done - although...choice of colour for some of the syntax highlighting is definitely questionable  :whistle:

Iam open for suggestions on the colour site of the house !! B)

My question is this:

Sometimes when I fire up tidy.exe (using Ctrl+9) it opens up a dialog box to choose the file to tidy. This then creates a new file called file_n.aut.

Sometimes when I fire up tidy.exe (using Ctrl+9) it justs asks me if I want to save any changes then performs the tidy function. This time the old file is renamed as file_old1 and my working file name is unchanged  (This is much better!!!)

Am I using different versions of tidy.exe (dotted around different PCs!!) ?

Any thoughts.

Tidy works in the following way: if no filename is passed to it as parameter it will prompt you for the file to "Tidy" and create a file_N.au3 version.

When a file is passed as parameter it will 'Tidy' the current file being edited and save to old version as file_oldX.au3.

I have made an update to the au3.properties because there was a typo in the following line of the au3.properties file:

command.9.*.au3=tidy\tidy.exe $(FilePath)

Make sure the lines look like this:

command.9.*.au3=tidy\tidy.exe "$(FilePath)"

command.name.9.*.au3=Tidy AutoIt Source

command.save.before.9.*.au3=1

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Just got word from Neil Hodgson that the AutoIt3 Lexer and config files will be included in the next release of Scite & Scintilla.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

all settings are done for you in the above files.

This is the :"We know what's good for you approach!!" :whistle:

I believe its really impressive now we have it all working.....

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Administrators

I just downloaded that and it looks great. But then I wanted to change the font and got as far as opening some global preferences file before going "sod this" and opening textpad again. :whistle:

Lazy lazy Jon.

• Developers

Agree it takes a bit to get familiar with the settings stuff...

All settings are described in C:\Program Files\SciTe\doc\SciTEDoc.html file but .... Yea it's quit a lot of stuff in there.

But he', this is a one time thing....

What I really like is the Ctrl+I and the Intellisense build in stuff... those are really very handy functions... :whistle:

EDIT: the other nice thing for the future is that it will be build in so all new editors based on the Scintilla editor can potentially support AutoIt3...

Edited by JdeB

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

I guess you are talking about AnyEdit ???

Think that was marked as promising when tested by Valik and CyberSlug.

The thing with most Scintilla based editors that I looked at is that they only support the original build in lexers and no others.

The AnyEdit developers made a change so they will support other builds of the SciLexer.dll in the next release...

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

AnyEdit had promise, but it seemed like a nearly dead project and it had several major bugs and flaws with it. For one, it seemed like half the options stuff didn't work correctly.

As far as I am concerned, any Scintilla based editor that doesn't support external lexer's just sucks. The editor has to do two things. First, it has to have a way to get the path to a DLL/so. Easy enough, in SciTE I added lexerpath.<filetypes>=path\to\lexer.dll. After it has that, it needs to send 1 single message to Scintilla to tell it to load a DLL. After that, that lexer might as well be built in because Scintilla takes care of everything else. That's very little effort to do, so I don't know why the other editors don't take advantage of that.

I also don't like the idea of a lexers built-into Scintilla. If I want to change something, I have to recompile the entire SciLexer.dll. I think its nice that Neil includes all those and stuff, but I prefer some abstraction between the core and the add-on's which external lexers provide. What happens when JdeB finds a bug or wants to make a change or whatever? This will force people to upgrade the whole editor just to get the new lexer.

• Developers

What happens when JdeB finds a bug or wants to make a change or whatever?  This will force people to upgrade the whole editor just to get the new lexer.

Fully agree with what you said... only when bugfixes/updates are made to any lexer being internal or external, people will have to update it to implement the changes.

Anyway we have several options now for the future to make it work the way we prefer.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

New lexer for AutoIt 3 and updated MSSQL lexer included in this version.

Just saw that on the Scintilla list.

Thats what i was trying to tell in my first post of today....

Posted on Mar 27 2004, 12:34 PM

Just got word from Neil Hodgson that the AutoIt3 Lexer and config files will be included in the next release of Scite & Scintilla.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Guest rathore

hey JdeB, great work on Scite!

is Tidy your work?... it rocks! :whistle:

here's another color scheme for someone needing an alternative (somewhat TextPad-ish)

(replace in au3.properties)

# White space
style.au3.0=fore:#000000,$(font.au3s)

# Comment line
style.au3.1=fore:#008000,italics

# Comment block
style.au3.2=fore:#008000,italics

# Number
style.au3.3=fore:#FFFFFF,

# Function
style.au3.4=fore:#0066CC,

# Keyword 
style.au3.5=fore:#009999,bold

# Macro
style.au3.6=fore:#0000CC,

# String
style.au3.7=fore:#000000,

# Operator
style.au3.8=fore:#FF0000,

# Variable
style.au3.9=fore:#336600,

# Sent keys in string
style.au3.10=fore:#003300,
Edited by rathore

• Developers

hey JdeB, great work on Scite!

is Tidy your work?... it rocks! B)

here's another color scheme for someone needing an alternative (somewhat TextPad-ish)

Tnx... :angry:

Yeap, wrote tidy because I like my code to have proper indenting and caps so its easier to read and understand.

Tried your color scheme but couldn't tell the difference anymore between Comments and Variables. Could be my eyes getting worse ... :whistle:

Edited by JdeB

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Guest rathore

yeah they do look similar.... i've edited the scheme above, now comments look somewhat greyed.... i guess that's the way i should've put them earlier. makes sense ... right?

• Developers

I like the colours to stand out more so its easier to see if you typed a valid KeyWord/Function/Macro. :whistle:

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Guest rathore

hey, its win-win! u like that bold one and i like this soft one, and others have a choice! :whistle:

btw I still need a cliplibrary to make a complete switchover, any ideas on that?